Get A Quote
Advanced Readers
Bound Galleys
Contacting Crane
Disks & job Submissions
Notices & News
Orders, & Returns
Trade Resources
Short Run Books
Ultra Short Run Books
Uncorrected Page Proofs
Crane Logo your bound galley expert
The definitive source for industry terms
When a term has more than one meaning, all explanations are displayed.
Cable paper   A strong paper used to wrap electrical cables.  
Cadmium yellow   A pigment made from cadmium sulfide and cadmium selenide.  
Calendar board   A strong paperboard used for calendars and displays.  
Calendar rolls   A series of metal rolls at the end of a paper machine; when the paper is passed between these rolls it increases its smoothness and glossy surface.  
Caliper   The measurement of thickness of paper expressed in thousandths of an inch or mils.  
Cameo   A dull coated paper, which is particularly useful in reproducing halftones and engravings.  
Camera ready   A term given to any copy, artwork etc., that is prepared for photographic reproduction.  
Camera Ready Artwork   As the name says, it is copy or illustration that is ready to shoot to film. The printed piece will be exactly as the camera ready art, unless it is reduced or enlarged with the camera. The film is then used to make the printing plate, after it is stripped. (see Stripping)  
Canvas board   A paperboard with a surface of simulated canvas, used for painting.  
Cap line   An imaginary horizontal line running across the tops of capital letters.  
Caps & lower case   Instructions in the typesetting process that indicate the use of a capital letter to start a sentence and the rest of the letters in lower case.  
Caps & small Caps   Two sizes of capital letters made in one size of type.  
Carbon black   A pigment made of elemental carbon and ash.  
Carbon tissue   A color printing process utilizing pigmented gelatin coatings on paper, which become the resist for etching gravure plates or cylinders.  
Carbonate paper   A chemical pulp paper (calcium carbonate), used mostly for the printing of magazines.  
Cartridge   A rough finished paper used for wrapping.  
Case   The stiff covers of a hardbound book.  
Case binding   Books bound using hard board (case) covers.  
Casein   A milk byproduct used as an adhesive in making coated papers.  
Casing in   The process of placing in and adhering a book to its case covers.  
Cast coated   A paper that is coated and then pressure dried using a polished roller which imparts an enamel like hard gloss finish.  
Catching up   A term to describe that period of the printing process where the non-image areas can take on ink or debris.  
Chain lines   Lines that appear on laid paper as a result of the wires of the papermaking machine.  
Chalking   A term used to describe the quality of print on paper where the absorption of the paper is so great that it breaks up the ink image creating loose pigment dust.  
Chancery italic   A 13th century handwriting style which is the roots of italic design.  
China clay   An aluminum silica compound used in gravure and screen printing inks. Also called kaolin.  
Chrome green   The resulting ink pigment attained from the mixture of chrome yellow and iron blue.  
Chrome yellow   A lead chromate yellow ink pigment.  
Circular screen   A screen that utilizes a concentric circle pattern as opposed to dots used for halftones and to allow the platemaker to set exact screen angles.  
Clay coated boxboard   A strong, easily folded boxboard with clay coating used for making folding boxes.  
Coarse screen   Halftone screens commonly used in newsprint; up to 85 lines per inch.  
Coated   Paper which is glossy on one or both sides. The paper is treated with clay when it is produced.  
Coated art paper   Printing papers used for printing projects that require a special treatment of detail and shading.  
Coated stock   Any paper that has a mineral coating applied after the paper is made, giving the paper a smoother finish.  
Cold color   Any color that moves toward the blue side in the color spectrum.  
Cold-set inks   A variety of inks that are in solid form originally but are melted in a hot press and then solidify when they contact paper.  
Collate   To gather sheets or signatures together in their correct order.  
Colophon   A printers or publishers identifying symbol or emblem.  
Color bars   This term refers to a color test strip, which is printed on the waste portion of a press sheet. It is a standardized (GATF-Graphic Arts Technical Foundation) process which allows a pressman to determine the quality of the printed material relative to ink density, registration, and dot gain. It also includes the Star Traget, which is a siliar system designed to detact inking problems.  
Color separating   The processes of separating the primary color components for printing.  
Color Seperation   Separating the colors of full color photo or illustration to enable a printer to print it in the four basic process colors. (see Scanning).  
Color strength   A term referring to the relative amount of pigmentation in an ink.  
Color transparency   Transparent film containing a positive photographic color image.  
Commercial register   Color registration measured within plus or minus one row of dots.  
Condensed type   A narrow, elongated type face.  
Contact print   A print made from contact of a sensitive surface to a negative or positive photograph.  
Contact screen   A halftone screen made on film of graded density, and used in a vacuum contact with the film.  
Contrast   The degree of tonal separation or gradation in the range from black to white.  
Contre jour   Taking a picture with the camera lens facing the light source.  
Copy   Refers to any typewritten material, art, photos etc.  
Copyboard   A board upon which the copy is pasted for the purpose of photographing.  
Corner marks   Marks on a final printed sheet that indicate the trim lines or register indicators.  
Cover   A term describing a general type of papers used for the covers of books, pamphlets etc.  
Crane or Cranes   Cane's were the original name of a bound galley or uncorrected page proofs. The first Crane was made before copy machines were developed over 44 years ago. See Bound Galleys.  
Creep   When the rubber blanket on a cylinder moves forward due to contact with the plate or paper.  
Crop   To eliminate a portion of the art or copy as indicated by crop marks.  
Crop   As in "to crop a picture" This process blocks out unwanted areas of a photograph. Also used in farming as in "Got a good crop this year, Vern?" In Western Canada, Vern usually replies with a "No."  
Crossmarks   Marks of fine lines, which intersect to indicate accurate alignment of art elements.  
Crossover   A term used to describe the effect of ink from an image, rule or line art on one printed page, which carries over to another page of a bound work.  
Curl   A term to describe the differences of either side of a sheet relative to coatings, absorbency etc.; the concave side is the curl side.  
Cut-off   A term used in web press printing to describe the point at which a sheet of paper is cut from the roll; usually this dimension is equal to the circumference of the cylinder.  
Cyan   A shade of blue used in the four-color process; it reflects blue and green and absorbs red.  
Cylinder gap   The gap in the cylinders of a press where the grippers or blanket clamps is housed.  
CYMK   Colors used in printing to reproduce color photos. (See Process Color) The colors are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black (or Key Color).

   Helpdesk (305) 280-6742 (9-4 EST) Copyright© 1950-2016 Crane All rights reserved.  Feedback