Get A Quote
Advanced Readers
Bound Galleys
Contacting Crane
Disks & job Submissions
Notices & News
Orders, & Returns
Trade Resources
Short Run Books
Ultra Short Run Books
Uncorrected Page Proofs
Crane Logo your bound galley expert
The definitive source for industry terms
When a term has more than one meaning, all explanations are displayed.
Dahlgren   A dampening system for printing presses which utilizes more alcohol (25%) and less water; this greatly reduces the amount of paper that is spoiled.  
Dampening   An essential part of the printing process whereby cloth covered rubber rollers distributes the dampening solution to the plate.  
Dandy roll   During the paper making process while the paper is still 90% water, it passes over a wire mesh cylinder (dandy roll), which imparts surface textures on the paper such as wove or laid. This is also the stage where the watermark is put onto the paper.  
Deckle edge   The rough or feathered edge of paper when left untrimmed.  
Deep etching   The etching or removal of any unwanted areas of a plate to create more air or white space on the finished product.  
Delete   An instruction given to remove an element from a layout.  
Demy   A term that describes a standard sized printing paper measuring 17.5 x 22.5 in.  
Densitometer   An optical device used by printers and photographers to measure and control the density of color.  
Density   The lay of paper fibers relative to tightness or looseness which affects the bulk, the absorbency and the finish of the paper.  
Density   The degree of tone, weight of darkness or color within a photo or reproduction; measurable by the densitometer. Reference, densitometer.  
Descender   A term that describes that portion of lower case letters which extends below the main body of the letter, as in "p".  
Diazo   A light sensitive coal tar product used as a coating on presensitized plates, as well as overlay proofs.  
Die   An engraved stamp used for impressing an image or design.  
Die cutting   A method of using sharp steel ruled stamps or rollers to cut various shapes i.e. labels, boxes, image shapes  
Die Cutting   The process of cutting paper in a shape or design by the use of a wooden die or block in which are positioned steel rules in the shape of the desired pattern.  
Die stamping   An intaglio process for printing from images engraved into copper or steel plates.  
Digest   A common size of publication. Roughly 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".  
Digital Proof   Color separation data is digitally stored and then exposed to color photographic paper creating a picture of the final product before it is actually printed.  
Dimensional stability   The qualities of paper to stabilize its original size when undergoing pressure or exposed to moisture.  
Diploma   A fine paper made specifically for the printing of diplomas, certificates and documents.  
Direct screen halftone   A color separation process using a halftone negative made by direct contact with the halftone screen.  
Display type   Any type that stands out from the rest of the type on a page which attracts attention of the reader.  
Distribution rollers   In the printing process, the rubber coated rollers responsible for the distribution of ink from the fountain to the ink drum.  
Doctor blade   A term in gravure printing which refers to the knife-edge that runs along the printing cylinder; its function is to wipe the excess ink away from the non-printing areas.  
Dot   The smallest individual element of a halftone.  
Dot gain   Terms to describe the occurrence whereby dots are printing larger than they should.  
DPI   Dots per inch. Refers to the number of dots per inch that an output device can produce, such as a laser printer or an image setter.  
Draw-down   A method used by ink makers to determine the color, quality and tone of ink. It entails the drawing of a spatula over a drop of ink, spreading it flat over the paper.  
Drier   A term that describes any additives to ink which encourages the drying process.  
Drill   The actual drilling of holes into paper for ring or comb binding.  
Drop shadow   A shadow image placed strategically behind an image to create the affect of the image lifting off the page.  
Dry mount   Pasting with heat sensitive adhesives.  
Ductor roller   The roller between the inking and the dampening rollers.  
Dull finish   Any matte finished paper.  
Dummy   A term used to describe the preliminary assemblage of copy and art elements to be reproduced in the desired finished product; also called a comp.  
Dummy   A 3 dimensional model. It is a mock up generally used to figure out a pagination sequence in multi page printing. A folded up piece of paper with page numbers written on it. Also a stupid guy.
Duotone   A two-color halftone reproduction generated from a one-color photo.  
Duplex paper   Paper which has a different color or finish on each side.  
Dutch   Any deckle edged paper, originally produced in the Netherlands.  
Dye based ink   Any ink that acquires its color by the use of aniline pigments or dyes. Reference aniline  

   Helpdesk (305) 280-6742 (9-4 EST) Copyright© 1950-2016 Crane All rights reserved.  Feedback